Hey friends, thanks for checking in with me this week to read my blog post! This week I wanted to explore what the Expanded Learning Opportunities program is about and give you a quick overview for future posts.
The ELO program was started in 1998 and was established to ensure children got high quality education outside the generic classroom setting. These programs include early learning initiatives, weekend, after-school, summer, winter, and distance learning programs. A statistic shows that students spend about 20% of their daytime in school each year, and that leaves 80% for unmonitored and unsupervised time in front of the TV playing video games and watching shows. To increase engagement with learning and other activities, the ELO program was established so that kids would be supervised outside the classroom while learning, being active, and learning to get along with their peers. These activities keep students off the streets doing illegal activities, decreasing obesity, while increasing engagement in learning. Not only that, but it decreases the socioeconomic differences among children as it keeps at-risk kids off the streets, and allows them to spend more time focusing on their goals and learning in different ways. However, there is still a shortage to these programs in across the United States and in North Carolina.
So how do we get more children into the after-school programs? There is a need to fund more of these programs in effective ways. Most of the programs, when funded, quickly run out of funds and cannot sustain themselves. Also there is a need to allocate these funds to ensure that some of these programs get funding in different communities across North Carolina. This will enable children to seek out these programs in their own communities, thus increasing enrollment. Every child deserves a quality education as a fundamental right, regardless of their background, and the ELO programs helps achieve this right.
-See ya next week,
Girl 2 ❤